Monday, August 12, 2013

2013 Catch Up

     Well a long overdue but much enthused "howdy folks" is my expression today! I have been longing for the day to get back to my blog and sharing what life has been for me and the hubbs the last few months! I can say one word to sum it up and another to really explain: CRAZY and APART.  The month of November (can I think back that far?!) Layne was gone on TDY's a lot.  (For those of you who don't know, the Air Force does nothing but speak in crazy code, lingo's and of course, the beloved acronyms!) So a TDY simply means Temporary DutY.  =) Simple as that! Anywho, he was gone a week, home a week, gone 2 weeks, home a few days, then gone almost 3 weeks! We were able to spend our first Thanksgiving together so that was nice.  We hosted, so I learned quickly the stress of trying to prepare for a house full of guests! (In a kitchen that's WAY TOO SMALL!) Mad mad props and respect went out that day to my mom and all the women in my family who make preparing 5 different dishes and cleaning a house by yourself look easy! However, all said and done it was a good day with our other friends who were not with families.

     Speaking of family, there is much to be said about this new life I dove into.  You meet new people in a brand new place from all over the country- and though you may have NOTHING in common with some of them, you have at least thing in common- military life. Layne went on his very first deployment this year and I learned even more how nice it is to call the other men and women in his squadron my family.  Though to most, a 4 month deployment seems like a piece of cake (and to some ladies it may be!) but it definitely goes without saying that I missed him- A LOT.  Being alone for the first time for more than 3 weeks was something to get used to....then add about 5 feet of snow and temperatures below zero for half the time.... yeah, this Southern Belle was in for it!  However, I buckled down and went out and found a training job to keep me busy while he was away (and because I needed to be in the gym badly!), and hung out with friends as much as I could.  My neighbors (both sides) were wonderful and helped in keeping my driveway clear of snow which I cannot express how thankful I was just for that. 

      I did make it home for 6 weeks- April and the first week or so of May and it was WONDERFUL.  To feel the warm sunshine, LAY OUT (I was looking like Casper), and just be with my family and see some friends was a definite boost to my spirit.  Day after day Layne and I fought with the internet to try and get a conversation in somehow (sometimes we went for days without speaking because the internet connection was so bad).  Though the connectivity was beyond frustrating, I am thankful that they at least had internet for us to almost talk everyday.  I definitely learned to appreciate the little things. =)  Another role I learned (and am still learning) is being a wife, then a military wife on top of that.  You see, military spouses have to go about it [LIFE] a lot differently I feel.  For days/weeks/months at a time we have to do it all- be the man and the woman of the house; the mom and the dad.  Then when our sweet husbands return, we must adapt back to being the submissive and respectful wives we are to be- letting them return to their leadership role.  It's a lot easier to say it than do it, once you've been trudging along in your own rhythm for so long alone.  But I know from watching others who have been in WAY longer than I, that it IS doable. We are still so very new in our marriage but it is something God is showing me day by day how to do better. Thank you Lord!

     Layne arrived back in Alaska on May 14 (after missing 7 flights, I barely made it home 12 hours before him!) and it was the best sight ever seeing him step off that bus.  (I'll post pictures later)  We spent quality time together just around the house, we hiked a glacier with friends, and then set off for our Hawaiian vacation at the end of May!  Eight days in paradise.... I was a giddy little school girl the whole time.  (I'm a beach bum, surfer chick at heart- yes, scary I know)  Our vacation was amazing to say the least and we explored as much of O'ahu as we could in those 6 full days we had. Returning home was very hard- but also fun knowing we had beautiful weather to look forward to there as well!

   Since we've been back, we both started work again and purchased a 27 foot camper!!! We have had a BEAUTIFUL (and hot!) summer so we have been out camping, fishing, hiking as much as possible!  We (well mostly just Layne) have caught a good bit of salmon, and when my parents came to visit we took a halibut charter and ended up with 70 pounds (yes SEVENTY POUNDS) of filleted halibut! YUM!! My parents were here for 2 weeks and it was so good to be able to show them around, take them camping, and sightseeing. (and even got my mother in waders fishing for salmon!!)

I cannot believe it's already August and the weather has changed dramatically already; rain, rain, rain, and fog.  We are losing daylight rather quickly now, and it's a lot cooler than the previous 2 months.  BOO. Trying to mentally prepare for the months ahead....1 winter down, 2 to go! I should run now, this post has been far too long (yet I've crammed 7 months worth of life into it). I promise not to take another 9 months to write a post!

Until next time,
Adios!





 

1 comment:

  1. So glad you have updated your blog! Just love hearing of your adventures. Love, Granny

    ReplyDelete

I sure do love hearing from you! Comments here please!